Kapsabet Municipality shall, within the boundaries of the Municipality, perform the following functions—
- Promotion, regulation and provision of refuse collection and solid waste management services.
- Promotion and provision of water and sanitation services and infrastructure (in areas within the Municipality not served by a water and sanitation provider)
- construction and maintenance of urban roads and associated infrastructure
- construction and maintenance of storm drainage and flood controls
- construction and maintenance of walkways and other non-motorized transport infrastructure
- construction and maintenance of recreational parks and green spaces;
- construction and maintenance of street lighting
- construction, maintenance and regulation of traffic controls and parking facilities;
- construction and maintenance of bus stands and taxi stands
- regulation of outdoor advertising
- construction, maintenance and regulation of Municipal markets and abattoirs
- Construction and maintenance of fire stations; provision of fire-fighting services, emergency preparedness and disaster management.
- promotion, regulation and provision of Municipal sports and cultural activities;
- Promotion, regulation and provision of animal control and welfare.
- Development and enforcement of Municipal plans and development controls.
- Provision of Municipal Administrative services (including construction and maintenance of administrative offices).
- promoting and undertaking infrastructural development and services within the Municipality; and any other functions as may be delegated by the County Executive Committee Member.
The Board shall ensure the development of mechanisms for the participation of the residents of the Municipality in the management and administration thereof. All recommendations from the Citizen Fora of the Municipality shall be forwarded to the Board for deliberation. All recommendations on issues raised in the Citizen Fora and addressed and/or resolved by the Board shall be forwarded to the Municipal Manager for implementation.
Without prejudice to the foregoing, residents of the Municipality may deliberate and make proposals to the relevant bodies or institutions on—
· the provision of services;
· proposed issues for inclusion in County policies and County legislation;
· proposed national policies and legislation;
· the proposed annual budget estimates of the County and of the national government;
· the proposed development plans of the County and of the national government; and
· any other matter of concern to the citizens;
The Board shall
· plan strategies for engaging the various levels and units of government on matters of concern to citizens;
· monitor the activities of elected and appointed officials of the Municipality, including members of the Board; and
· receive representations, including feedback on issues raised by the county citizens, from elected and appointed officials.
The board shall invite petitions and representations from the Citizen Fora with regard to the administration and management of the affairs within the Municipality.
The Manager shall make a report on the decision made by the Board in respect of a petition or presentation made by a citizen Fora and reasons for such decision.